Ike Clanton’s Tomato Soup You all remember who Ike Clanton was, don’t you? Yup. He was one of those guys who fought the Earps at the OK Corral. Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies. We’ve watched it so many times that I […]
1 lb. split peas 2 quarts water 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. black pepper 1 bay leaf 1 tsp. leaf thyme (crushed) 2 whole cloves 1 large onion 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (3 cups) 1/2 lb. cooked ham, diced 1/2 lb. smoked sausage […]
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
It’s cold here in northeast Texas today, so something like this is going to really taste good. The recipe calls for stew meat, but I used leftover roast.
- 1 ½ pounds stew meat
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cups mirepoix (just a combination of chopped onion, celery, and carrots)
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth (or vegetable)
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large potato, shredded (using a food processor or grater)
- 2/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- Season the stew meat with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot or in the instant pot over medium-high heat. Add ½ the stew meat and brown on all sides for about 2-3 minutes total. Remove meat to a plate and repeat with the second batch and the second tablespoon of oil.
- Add the mushroom to the pot and brown the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes or until they start picking up the brown bits left behind by the meat. Remove the mushrooms to the same plate as the stew meat.
- If needed, add a little more oil to the pot and the mirepoix mix. Cook the veggies for 4-5 minutes or until the onions soften and become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- SLOW COOKER: Add the softened veggies, stew meat, mushrooms, bay leaves, dried thyme, water, and beef broth to the slow cooker and allow the soup to cook on the high setting for 3 hours or on the low setting for 6 hours.
- INSTANT POT: Add the stew meat, mushrooms, bay leaves, dried thyme, water, and beef broth the to sautéed veggies in the instant pot, cover and pressure cook the meat for 13-16 minutes depending on the size of the stew meat. Allow the pressure to release before removing the lid.
- BOTH METHODS: Add the shredded potatoes and the barley and allow the soup to cook on the high setting (for the instant pot you hit the slow cook button) for 1 hour or until the potatoes and barley cook through. Season with additional seasonings to taste. Serve warm with chopped parsley on top and a loaf of crusty bread or crackers.
Alphabet Soup Do you all remember having alphabet soup when you were a kid? I do. My Mom always kept some on hand. Alphabet Soup Recipe Type: Entree Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 10 mins Total time: 20 mins […]
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup I love chicken noodle soup and not just when I’m ill. I usually have some warm, crust bread with mine. Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 20 […]
Instant Pot Chunky Beef, Cabbage & Tomato Soup
This is so good and it’s one of those that freezes well.
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chopped green cabbage
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Assuming your electric pressure cooker has a saute option, or if using the Instant Pot, press the saute button and let the pressure cooker get very hot, when hot spray with oil, add the ground beef and salt and cook until browned breaking the meat up into small pieces as it cooks, 3 to 4 minutes.
- When browned, add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cabbage, beef stock and bay leaves, lock the lid cook high pressure 20 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally. Remove bay leaves and serve. Makes 11 cups.
- STOVE TOP:
- Follow the same directions as above in a large pot or Dutch oven, cook covered low 40 minutes.
Instant Pot Minestrone This is one of my favorite soups. It freezes well, too. Instant Pot Minestrone Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 4 mins Total time: 14 mins Serves: 8 Ingredients 1 can kidney beans drained […]
Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup I’m trying to post recipes that will help with all our New Year’s resolutions to eat healthier. I’m sure hoping that these Instant Pot soup recipes will work for everyone. Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American […]
Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup
This soup is really good if you want to shed some pounds. I’ve got lots of it made up and frozen.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chopped cabbage half head
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 small bunch broccoli florets
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Set Instant Pot to the saute setting. Add the olive oil and allow to heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 -7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the cabbage, green pepper, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, spices and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, close the steam vent and set to HIGH pressure using the manual setting. Decrease the time to 4 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build, then the timer will start.
- Once the time is expired, wait for 5 minutes, then carefully use the quick release valve to release the steam. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
- FOR THE STOVETOP:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the cabbage, green pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, spices and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup It’s going to be chilly here in Northeast Texas and soup will sure taste good. So, I’ve been baking lots of soups in the Instant Pot and then freezing them. Makes it so much easier at suppertime. Instant Pot Split […]
Ham & Bean Soup This is great for using leftover ham if you don’t have the hocks or shanks. And, it makes your house smell good. I usually serve it with cornbread. Ham & Bean Soup Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep […]
JFK’s Favorite New England Fish Chowder
I’m not one for fish or clam chowder, but this one comes out very good. President Kennedy loved this recipe.
- 2 pounds haddock
- 2 ounces salt pork, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put the haddock in a soup pot with 2 cups water and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving the broth. Remove any bones from the fish and set fish aside.
- Saute the salt pork in the soup pot until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the pork and set aside. Saute the onions in the pork fat until golden brown. Add the fish, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the reserved fish broth plus enough boiling water to make 3 cups liquid. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the milk and butter and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve the chowder sprinkled with the diced pork.
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Chowder My favorite soups are the creamy ones and this one fits the bill. Creamy Chicken Vegetable Chowder Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 50 mins Serves: 12 Ingredients 1 […]
Pasta e Fagioli I’ve made many different versions of this recipe, but this is my favorite. The recipe is from Alyssa at www.goodinthesimple.com Pasta e Fagioli Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: Italian Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 40 […]
Marvelous Vegetable Soup
This is soooooo good. You can make it to suit your family. I had partial bags of different veggies just sitting in the freezer, so threw those in too. In the picture you can probably see the okra, the lima beans and the broccoli.
- 1 lb. lean stewing beef cut into 1-inch cubes
- vegetable oil
- 4 cups water, divided
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen green beans
- 1 8-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cocktail sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups Ditali pasta, cooked and drained*
- Brown beef in hot vegetable oil in a heavy Dutch oven; add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and remaining 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- *I don’t add the pasta until I’m ready to serve. And then, I’ll put it in the pot just long enough to heat it up. You don’t want it to get too mushy.
Potato Soup I love potato soup as much as I do corn chowder. This is the perfect recipe. Potato Soup Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 40 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients 5 medium […]
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup This is so good. The perfect soup to warm you up on a cold day. Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: Amerian Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 1 hour Serves: 6 […]
Chili Mac & Cheese
I love chili mac and this one is super easy to make in one pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces elbows pasta
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ground beef, and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer and stir in pasta. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Top with cheese and cover until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
New England Corn Chowder My Mom would make corn chowder alot during the winter. This is a great recipe out of New England. New England Corn Chowder Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: Americaqn Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: […]
Turkey Soup It’s cold here in northeast Texas. Temp this morning is right at freezing and we have a fairly brisk wind. So, I thought soup recipes should be on the agenda. Here’s one you can make to use up some of those leftovers. Turkey […]
Winter Vegetable Soup
I’ve made this soup for years. It was one of those recipes that came with my first crockpot. Sometimes, I’ll just toss everything into my big soup pot and cook it on top of the stove.
It’ll sure warm you up on a chilly evening. Serve it with some warm crusty bread and cookies.
- 1 medium head of Savoy cabbage, quartered and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 6 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Get all your vegetable cut up and put into the crockpot.
- If you want to cook it on top of the stove, then heat the oil in your soup pot and add the cabbage, carrots, celery and parsnips. Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the stock onto the vegetables (crockpot or soup pot) .
- On the stove, bring it to a boil and skim off the foam.
- In the crockpot, turn on HIGH for about an hour.
- For either one: Add your potatoes zucchini, bell pepper, cauliflower, tomatoes and garlic. Season with the herbs, salt and pepper.
- On the stove, bring it back to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add chicken and heat just enough to warm it.
- In the crockpot, turn it on LOW and cook for 8 hours or until veggies are tender. Add chicken in the last half hour.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Crockpot Vegetable Soup This is the best soup for a chilly evening. Put it in the crockpot first thing in the morning and the whole house smells warm and inviting. This is one of the first things my daughter learned to make. Crusty French Bread […]
Hearty Vegetable Soup Here’s another soup I would make when the kids were home. It will freeze well, too. Hearty Vegetable Soup Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 11 hours Total time: 11 hours 20 mins Serves: 8 Ingredients 2 lbs. lean […]
Winter Vegetable Soup
I used to make this when the kids were home. It doesn’t make a whole lot, but you can always double it and put it in the freezer for later.
- 2 cups sliced leeks
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced turnips
- 3 cups diced yellow squash
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tsp savory
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Combine all the ingredients in the crock pot. Turn it on LOW and cook for 8 hours.