Golden Potato Salad I grew up in New England. When summer rolled around, my Dad would bring out the grill. He would stock up on charcoal and lighter fluid. I remember that he even built a picnic table. It seems like he’d be cooking something on […]
Copycat Chick-fil-A Coleslaw I haven’t been in a Chick-fil-A in a very long time. They just opened up one here in town, so might have to give it a try. I don’t think they made this coleslaw anymore. So, if you loved it, here’s the […]
Summer Fruit Salsa
Summer fruits all mixed together into a great salsa. Serve with cinnamon tortilla chips.
Summer Fruit Salsa
By: Marsha Powell
- 1 pint Strawberries
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 3 kiwi fruits, chopped
- 1 can pineapple tidbits
- 2 Apple
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- Cinnamon Chips:
- 6 Flour Tortillas
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon, or more to taste
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400°F
- Step 2 Fruit Salsa
- Step 3 Finely dice strawberries and apples.
- Step 4 Mix apples kiwi, pineapple and strawberries together in a large bowl with blueberries.
- Step 5 Add 1/4 c sugar and juice from half of a lemon and mix thoroughly.
- Step 6 Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated overnight.
- Step 7 Cinnamon Chips
- Step 8 Melt half a stick of butter in the microwave.
- Step 9 Lay out 6 tortillas and brush butter over them, covering them completely.
- Step 10 Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over tortilla covering completely.
- Step 11 To make star-shaped chips use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut the tortillas. If not you can just cut the tortillas into wedges and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Step 12 Bake for approximately 7 minutes or until crispy.
Blueberry Chicken Salad
This is a great way to use up some leftover chicken. Or, you can cook up some breasts just for this.
By: Marsha Powell
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups blueberries, rinsed, drained & divided
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 Tbsp. slivered almonds
- Step 1 Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and cayenne pepper in medium bowl
- Step 2 mix well.
- Step 3 Add chicken, celery, onion, bell pepper, tomato, avocado, tarragon and pepper
- Step 4 toss to mix. Carefully fold in 1 3/4 cups blueberries until coated.
- Step 5 Cover chicken mixture and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes before serving.
- Step 6 Arrange lettuce on four plates
- Step 7 spoon salad mixture on top and garnish with reserved blueberries and slivered almonds.
Orange Cream Fruit Salad This is so light and refreshing. I usually serve it as my dinner salad. Orange Cream Fruit Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Total time: 10 mins Serves: 10 Recipe adapted from: https://butterwithasideofbread.com/orange-cream-fruit-salad Ingredients […]
Classic Caesar Salad
This is a no-brainer for most people. But, you’d be surprised at the requests I get for this particular salad recipe. So, here it is. It’s surely one of my favorites.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste (or 4 anchovy fillets, mashed)
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces of romaine, washed, dried, & chilled
- Garlic Croutons (store bought or homemade)
- Freshly shaved Parmesan
- Prepare the dressing by placing the garlic in a small food processor (or blender) and pulsing until minced. Add the Parmesan, anchovy paste, lemon juice, Dijon, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. Add the extra-virgin olive oil (stream it in while running, if your food processor/blender opens on top) and blend on high until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before serving, tear or chop the romaine into bite-sized pieces and place in a very large bowl. Shake the dressing well and drizzle about half of it over the romaine; toss to coat. Top with desired amount of croutons, shaved Parmesan, and additional dressing, to taste. Season with fresh ground pepper, toss to combine, and serve immediately.
Caesar Pesto Pasta Salad I love pasta salads and this one is especially good by itself or as a side dish with hamburgers. Caesar Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves: 12 […]
Bacon Cheeseburger Salad I messed up the title on the picture. It’s a yummy salad – not a casserole Bacon Cheeseburger Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 10 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients […]
Gumbo Potato Salad
This is great for anyone who’s going to have a Mardi Gras celebration.
- 2-1/2 pounds of Yukon Gold, Red or Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup of finely minced onion
- 1 large stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 3/4 to 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of spicy Creole style mustard
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 10 turns of the pepper grinder
- Peel and cut potatoes to a small dice. Boil until tender and crumbly, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. Place into serving bowl and use a masher to partially mash them, leaving some chunks.
- Add the onion, celery, green onion and parsley to the potatoes; toss. In a separate small bowl, mix together the 3/4 cup of mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper; spoon over the potatoes. Toss again until all the potatoes are coated, adding additional mayonnaise to reached desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Sprinkle top lightly with paprika, if desired. To serve with gumbo, spoon gumbo into individual serving bowls, with or without rice, and use a cookie scoop to place a scoop of the potato salad right into the bowl. Can also serve on the side. Refrigerate leftovers.
Winter Fruit Salad I love fruit salads and this one is perfect for this time of year. I added a couple of small apples that needed to be used. Winter Fruit Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Total […]
Triple Berry Cheesecake Salad This is so good. I know that these are considered “summer fruits”, but these days we can find them in the stores all year. I substituted raspberries for the blackberries – personal preference. Any combination of berries is great, Triple Berry […]
Best Side Salad
I love salads and this one is a perfect side dish with any meal.
- 3 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 roma tomato chopped
- 3-4 Slices cooked bacon chopped
- 2 boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots chopped
- Slice romaine leaves off of white stems, (discard white stems) and chop lettuce into small pieces and pour in large serving bowl.
- Next layer on to the lettuce, the tomato, bacon, eggs, celery, carrots, and cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle on top the garlic powder and the dried basil.
- Serve with choice of dressing.
Broccoli Pineapple Salad This is a great side salad. I would usually serve it with a tuna casserole. Broccoli Pineapple Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 15 mins Total time: 15 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients 6 cups fresh broccoli florets […]
Muffuletta Pasta Salad Most all of my Mardi Gras recipes came from neighbors when I lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I was there for a few years and I learned all my Cajun cooking skills from the neighbor ladies. Muffaletta Pasta Salad Recipe Type: […]
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
This is so good. It’s a great main dish salad. Personally, I don’t like spinach, so I use romaine lettuce.
- 1 lb. cooked chicken cut in bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise & sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 13.75-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 small lemon, seeded & cut in 6 wedges
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- In a very large bowl, combine chicken, cucumber, celery, olives, walnuts, artichokes and green onions. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine lemon (including the peel), olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper. Blend until nearly smooth.
- Pour dressing over chicken; toss to combine.
- Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- Serve on spinach leaves.
Broccoli Apple Salad I love this! I could make a meal out of it, but I usually serve it along with meatloaf or hamburgers. Broccoli Apple Salad Recipe Type: Side Dish Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves: […]
BLT Pasta Salad I love my pasta and I love my salads. This is perfect. I substituted bow tie pasta for the shells because that’s what I had on hand. BLT Pasta Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 15 mins […]
This looks so pretty on the table. And, it’s a nice complement to any Christmas dinner or anytime.
- 1 broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Add veggies into a salad bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar. Pour over veggies
- and toss together.
- Chill in the fridge one hour before serving.
Festive Tossed Salad This is a great salad for anytime. This time of year it looks festive on the table. Festive Tossed Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: Jewish Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Total time: 10 mins Serves: 12 Ingredients 8 cups torn […]
Crab Pasta Salad I love this pasta salad. It calls for Spike seasoning. It’s a salt-free seasoning. You can find it at Walmart or on Amazon. Crab Pasta Salad Recipe Type: Seafood Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 30 mins Total time: 30 mins […]
Cabbage & Pea Salad
I’ve made this several times and it’s always good. We like it better when it sets overnight.
- 1 medium 2 to 2 1/2 lb cabbage, super finely sliced
- 1 english cucumber thinly sliced into half circles
- 1 bunch green onion or chives chopped
- 2 cups sweet peas thawed in cold water
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or to taste
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar or to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Discard soft outer leaves of cabbage and thinly slice on a mandolin. Discard or eat the core. Transfer shredded cabbage to a large mixing bowl.
- Add sliced cucumbers, thawed peas and green onion and toss lightly to combine.
- Drizzle salad with 3 to 4 Tbsp oil, 2 Tbsp cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp white vinegar and toss to combine. Before serving, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (start with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper and go up from there). You can also add more vinegar to taste if your cabbage was larger.
Puerto Rican Spicy Cabbage Salad I’ve never tried this, but it sure looks good. I think that I’ll have to cut back on the radishes and use a milder pepper sauce. Puerto Rican Spicy Cabbage Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep […]
Carrot Raisin Salad This has always been one of my favorites. Carrot Raisin Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves: 6 Adapted from Brandie at thecountrycook.net Ingredients 1 pound carrots ½ cup raisins 1 […]
Cake Pan Salad
I love this! You can always add ground beef to make it like a taco salad.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped purple onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh mushrooms
- 12 oz. package frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups real mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1/4 lb. grated cheddar cheese (I like extra sharp)
- 1 lb. lower-sodium bacon, fried, cooled and crumbled
- Remove core from head of lettuce. Cut head into quarters. Carefully seperate the lettuce layers. Put half of them in the bottom of a 9 x 13, glass cake pan. Top with half of the onion, half of the celery, half of the green pepper, half of the mushrooms, and half of the frozen (thawed) peas. Combine the mayo with the sugar. Spread half of the mayo mixture over the salad. Top with half of the cheese and half of the bacon. Repeat with another salad layer, starting with lettuce and ending with bacon. Cover cake pan tightly with foil. Place in refrigerator and chill for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Cut into 8 to 12 square pieces. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Creamy Broccoli Salad I love salads and make them often. This one is great for a side dish. Creamy Broccoli Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 15 mins Total time: 15 mins Serves: 6 Adapted from Jen at yummyhealthyeasy.com Ingredients […]