Beef Tips & Gravy I usually buy a large roast and cut these myself. It’s cheaper that way. Beef Tips & Gravy Print Prep time 20 mins Cook time 2 hours 30 mins Total time 2 hours 50 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe […]
Dirty Rice with Shrimp
This recipe is great with my go-to side dish – a big green salad.
- 1½ cup uncooked rice
- 1 bay leave
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp + ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp + ½ tsp thyme
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 bell peppers I used 1 green & 1 orange
- 1 lb chopped chicken breast, cooked (leftover chicken works great)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 scallions chopped
- Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with 1 bay leaf, ¼ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp cayenne, ⅛ tsp paprika and ⅛ tsp thyme.
- When the rice is almost ready, heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and cook shrimp until done, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Discard liquid from shrimp in the skillet, and heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers. Saute on medium heat until soft about 5 minutes. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin, remaining cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- Add cooked rice, chicken and shrimp to the skillet, toss, cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Serve warm and sprinkle some scallions on top. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Cajun Rice with Chicken & Sausage I grew up in Massachusetts. During my lifetime I’ve lived in alot of different places. One of them was on the Gulf Coast close to New Orleans. While there, I learned how to cook Cajun foods. I […]
Southwest Chicken This is great for using leftover chicken – or maybe even some leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. Southwest Chicken Print Prep time 5 mins Cook time 20 mins Total time 25 mins Adapted from Beth at budgetbytes.com Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: […]
Autumn Rice Pudding
Warm this up for a good breakfast. I made it often during the winter for the kids. At least I knew they had a full tummy when they went to school.
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 green or red apple, chopped
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pkg. (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Bring 1 cup of the milk to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice, apple, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pudding in large bowl as directed on package with remaining 2 cups milk.
- Stir rice mixture into prepared pudding. Stir in walnuts. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap; cool 5 minutes. Serve warm or chilled
Stuffed Peppers for 2
Since it’s just hubby and myself now, I’m always on the lookout for great recipes that only serve 2 people. We don’t mind leftovers but I’d rather not have them hanging around.
I usually have these with a nice green salad.
- 2 medium green or red bell peppers
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- ¼ cup uncooked instant rice
- 3 Tbsp. shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. Blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside. In a bowl combine beef, ¼ cup of tomato sauce, rice, 2 Tbsp. of cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and egg; mix well.
- Stuff the peppers; place in an ungreased 1½ quart baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 to 60 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
One Pot Red Beans & Rice
We have this every so often. I like it best with the andouille sausage. Of course, you must have some cornbread on the side.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound cajun smoked sausage, andouille, or other smoked sausage, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans red beans (or red kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups instant rice
- creole seasoning
- Add the vegetable oil to a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the beans and rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add creole seasoning to taste. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
[lt_recipe name=”Atlanta Pork Chops & Rice” servings=”4″ prep_time=”30M” cook_time=”30M” total_time=”1H” difficulty=”Easy” summary=”All you need for a complete meal is a green veggie.” print=”yes” image=”https://thebellyrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/AtlantaPorkChopsRice-300×213.jpg” ingredients=”4 good-sized boneless pork chops;2 Tbsp. oil;1/4 c. celery, sliced thin;2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce;1 medium chopped onion;1 1/2 c. […]
[lt_recipe name=”Beef & Broccoli Rice” servings=”4″ prep_time=”10M” cook_time=”30M” total_time=”40M” difficulty=”Easy” summary=”The Texas Beef Council http://www.txbeef.org/” print=”yes” image=”https://thebellyrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/beefbroccoli-Rice.jpg” ingredients=”1 pound beef top round steak — cut 3/4 inch thick; 3 tablespoons butter — divided; 2 cloves garlic — crushed; 1/4 teaspoon salt; 1/8 teaspoon pepper; 1 […]