Easter Babka This is another dessert that my friends mother would make. These are so good! If you try it, let me know what you think in the comments. Easter Babka Recipe Type: Dessert Cuisine: Polish Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 2 hours 15 mins […]
Easter Kulich This is a traditional Russian Easter bread. It’s really not that hard to make and is very good. Easter Kulich Recipe Type: Bread Cuisine: Russian Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 2 hours 20 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 3 hours Serves: […]
ABM Cinnamon Raisin Bread
I love cinnamon raisin bread, but it can be a bit expensive to buy. With the new machine I can make lots of it!
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 3 tbsp powdered milk
- 3 tbsp shortening or butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 1/4 cups white flour – Strong bread flour is best but you can use All Purpose.
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 tsp yeast
- Instructions For the Bread maker :
- The settings are quick bread and light crust
- Instructions For Oven :
- Add the ingredients to a stand mixer in the order listed. Mix until all well combine and your dough is elastic.
- Transfer to the bread pan, cover with a towel or even better with plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Place in oven at 350 F for about 30 minutes, it will depend on the pan you use so will be ready when it looks light brown.
Instant Pot Raisin Bread This is a no knead bread that will rise in the Instant Pot. Then, you’ll bake it in the oven. I made it yesterday and it comes out so good. Instant Pot Raisin Bread Recipe Type: Yeast Bread Cuisine: American Author: […]
Raisin Bran Cereal Bars This recipe is on a newspaper clipping that’s so yellow it’s hard to read. Of course, it’s got lots of splatter on it, too. Raisin Bran Cereal Bars Recipe Type: Raisin Bran Cereal Bars Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: […]
Boston Brown Bread
In New England, and particularly around Boston, there’s the Saturday night supper. It consists of Boston Baked Beans, steamed hot dogs and Boston Brown Bread. This was always one of my favorites when I was growing up.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 3 Tbsp. raisins
- Combine the first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, molasses, brown sugar and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients. Add raisins. Pour into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Cover with foil.
- Place pan on rack in dutch oven. Add 1-inch of hot water. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Add more water as needed.
- Remove bread from dutch oven; let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on rack.
- Note: Traditionally, brown bread is cooked in round tins. That’s the way we always had it.
Raisin English Muffins This recipe comes from Fleishman’s Yeast. I love English Muffins and this one is especially good. Sometimes I’ll add some cinnamon to the dough – about a teaspoon. Raisin English Muffins Recipe Type: Yeast Bread Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: […]
Carrot Raisin Salad This has always been one of my favorites. Carrot Raisin Salad Recipe Type: Salad Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves: 6 Adapted from Brandie at thecountrycook.net Ingredients 1 pound carrots ½ cup raisins 1 […]
Autumn Rice Pudding
Warm this up for a good breakfast. I made it often during the winter for the kids. At least I knew they had a full tummy when they went to school.
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 green or red apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pkg. (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Bring 1 cup of the milk to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice, apple, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pudding in large bowl as directed on package with remaining 2 cups milk.
- Stir rice mixture into prepared pudding. Stir in walnuts. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap; cool 5 minutes. Serve warm or chilled
Raisin Griddle Cookies This recipe came out of an old cookbook that I think belonged to my Grandmother. I don’t ever remember her making them. I made them several times for the kids and their dad to take in their lunches. These are also known […]
Creamy Rice Pudding Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 50 mins Serves: 4 Ingredients 3/4 cup raw rice 1 cup half & half 1 cup milk 4 Tbsp. sugar 1 Tbsp. brown sugar 1/4 tsp. salt 2 egg […]
Hot Cross Buns
Adapted from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22254/hot+cross+buns
By: Marsha Powell
- 1 package (2 1/4 tsp.) yeast
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup raisins or candied fruit
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 c. flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 to 3 tsp. milk
- Step 1 Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbsp. sugar in warm milk. Make sure it isn’t any warmer than 110 degrees. Let stand 5 minutes. Add butter, raisins (or candied fruit), egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Step 2 Knead 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Step 3 Punch down
- Step 4 divide into 12 pieces. Shape into balls. Place in greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Step 5 Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
- Step 6 While buns are cooling, combine the icing ingredients. Using a decorating tip, pipe an “X” on each bun.