Ultimate Breakfast Burritos For a girl who grew up in New England, you would never think that this would be one of my all-time favorites. But, it is. I love these any time of the day. Ultimate Breakast Burritos Print Prep time 30 mins […]
Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
The original recipe was vegetarian. I always add some ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning.
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa (use your preferred level of spiciness)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno (or poblano pepper), cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
- Start by greasing a 9 x 13” casserole dish then set aside. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, hollow out the center of each zucchini. Lightly brush the tops with one teaspoon of olive oil then place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Next warm the tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef and add taco seasoning per directions on the package.
- Add the onion and the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the rice, corn, and beans along with the salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes then remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and then stir in ¼ cup of the cilantro and salt to taste to the filling. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full. Sprinkle each one with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and set the oven to broil. Cook them for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes then top with fresh cilantro and serve. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Instant Pot Skinny Burrito Bowl
I love anything that I can just serve up in a bowl – quick and easy to clean up. This one is really yummy.
- 2 frozen chicken breasts
- ½ cups uncooked brown rice
- ½ C dry black beans (not soaked)
- 1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes , no sugar added
- ½ cup whole kernel corn
- 2 tbsp . Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp . Cumin
- 1 tbsp . Onion powder
- 2 tbsp . Chili powder
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- Romaine lettuce
- Cheddar cheese
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place and seal the pressure valve.
- Using the manual mode cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. When done release by turning the pressure valve to open, be sure to use a long spoon or a silicone oven mitt to move the valve.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken to shred. I use my mixer to shred chicken–it's SO easy to do! Just make sure to stand right there and watch because the chicken goes from shredded to ground pretty quickly.
- Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot, stir well.
- Measure and place the romaine lettuce in your bowl. Top with ⅙ of the beans, rice, and shredded chicken.
- Add toppings and serve.
Instant Pot Taco Pie I love Mexican food and this fits the bill. Instant Pot Taco Pie Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 25 mins Total time 40 mins Recipe published by Sandy. https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-taco-pie/ Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Entree Cuisine: Mexican […]
Instant Pot Chili
I won an Instant Pot in a contest. It arrived just before Thanksgiving and I think it’s been in use just about every day.
- 1 pound - 1 ½ pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (540ml/19oz) red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons (8g - 16g) chili powder (depends on your chili powder’s spiciness & preference)
- 1 tablespoon (6g) cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon (1g) dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- Optional: 1 tablespoon (15ml) apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper to taste
- Umami Chicken Stock Mixture:
- 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons (49g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Prepare the Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and Adjust once to Sauté More function) over medium high heat. Ensure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
- Brown the Ground Beef: Season ground beef generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in pressure cooker. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot.
- Add ground beef in pressure cooker. The ground beef will start to release moisture. At the 5-minute mark, remove the ground beef juice and reserve it in a small mixing bowl.
- Allow the ground beef to brown. Stir occasionally until they are slightly crisped and browned (~5 – 7 minutes). Taste and adjust the seasoning with more kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix the Chicken Stock Mixture: While the ground beef is browning, mix 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock, 2 tbsp (30ml) fish sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 3 tbsp (49g) tomato paste, and 1 tsp (2.5g) unsweetened cocoa powder in a 500ml measuring cup.
- Sauté Onion, Garlic and Spices: Add diced onions, minced garlic, 1 tbsp ground cumin seed, 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp dried oregano. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the spices start to release their fragrance. Stir frequently.
- Deglaze: Pour in ½ cup (125ml) of the Umami Chicken Stock Mixture, fully deglaze the bottom of the pot by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Mix the brown bits with the stock mixture.
- Pressure Cook the Chili: Add in the reserved beef juice (from Step 2). Pour in the remaining Umami Chicken Stock Mixture. Add 2 cans of drained red kidney beans. Mix well. Pour in 1 can of crushed tomatoes with all the juice on top. Do not mix. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure using "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" button for 10 minutes + Natural Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Reduce and Season: If the chili is too runny, give it a quick stir and cook for another few minutes over medium heat (Instant Pot: Press Sauté button). Taste and season with brown sugar (we used 1 tbsp), kosher salt and black pepper.
Homemade Chili Seasoning Here’s another homemade seasoning. It works well with any Mexican dish. Homemade Chili Seasoning Print Prep time 10 mins Total time 10 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Seasoning Cuisine: Mexican Ingredients ¾ cup chili powder ¼ cup cumin ¼ […]
Burrito Supreme Casserole
I have no idea where I came up with this recipe. I might have even made it up myself. The piece of paper it’s written on is old and yellowed so I can’t tell if it’s my writing or someone else’s. It’s always lots of fun to go through a box of recipes and find these gems.
I can remember making it for the kids and they loved it.
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 (16-oz) can refried beans
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small avocado
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1//2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- Wrap tortillas securely in aluminum foil; bake at 350 degrees F for 15 min. or until thoroughly heated. Combine tomato juice, seasoning mix and oil; stir well and then set aside.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet until browned, stirring to crumble; drain. Stir in beans and ½ cup tomato juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cover; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Place ¼ cup beef mixture and 2½ Tbsp. cheese down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Pour remaining tomato juice mixture over casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Peel and cube avocado; toss with lemon juice. Sprinkle avocado, lettuce and tomato over casserole. Serve immediately.
San Jose Quiche
Since hubby and I don’t eat breakfast, this is great for our lunch. It serves 6, but for just the two of us we always have leftovers.
I found that it freezes really well. And, if you’re wondering – Yes! – I always have to have ketchup on mine. Hubby usually has some Salsa on his.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup green chili salsa
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 (4 ounce) ans whole green chilies, drained and cut lengthwise into 1 inch strips
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a skillet. Cook until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles. Drain the grease from the skillet. Stir in salsa. Set aside.
- Place half the tortillas in the bottom of an ungreased 11x7x2-inch baking dish. Spread half the meat mixture over the tortillas. Place half the green chile strips over the meat mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat the layers once.
- Combine eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture over the meat & cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes or until the eggs are set and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with salsa and avocado or guacamole.
- Note: I used flour tortillas because that's what we'd rather have. I didn't cut them up - I used them whole and pressed them up the sides of the pan. If using flour tortillas, grease your pan or they'll surely stick.
White Chicken Enchiladas
You’re going to love these! They don’t have any of that heat that you usually find in Mexican food. This Yankee tummy has never gotten used to that.
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Mix chicken with 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Divide between the 10 flour tortillas. Roll up. Place them in the pan. Try to squeeze them all in.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth; whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in sour cream and chilies.
- Pour over the enchiladas. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Before serving, top with sliced black olives and chopped tomatoes.
[lt_recipe name=”Enchiladas” servings=”5″ prep_time=”45M” cook_time=”25M” total_time=”1H15M” difficulty=”Easy” summary=”I love enchiladas!” print=”yes” image=”https://thebellyrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Enchiladas-300×201.jpg” ingredients=”1 lb. ground beef;1 package taco seasoning;1 c. water;2 c. cooked rice;1 (16 oz) can refried beans;2 c. shredded cheese, divided;10 (8 inch) flour tortillas;1 (16 oz) jar salsa;1 can cream of chicken […]
[lt_recipe name=”Burrito Lasagna” servings=”8″ prep_time=”45M” cook_time=”50M” total_time=”1H30M” difficulty=”Fairly Easy” summary=”*I used a package of the Lipton Spanish Rice. I cooked it up and then used it as directed in the recipe.” print=”yes” image=”https://thebellyrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/BurritoLasagna-300×300.jpg” ingredients=”2 lbs. ground beef;2 cans (10 oz each) enchilada sauce;1 envelope taco seasoning;1 Tbsp. cumin;1 package (8.8 oz) ready-to-serve Spanish rice*;12 flour tortillas (8 inch size);1 can (15 oz) refried beans;4 c. (16 oz) shredded Mexican cheese blend;Optional toppings: salsa, sliced avacado, shredded lettuce, taco sauce, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives;” ]In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no long pink; drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and cumin; heat through.;Heat rice according to package directions. Spread each tortilla with about 2 Tbsp. refried beans. Spread 1 cup meat mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Layer with 4 tortillas anda third of the rice, a third of the remaining meat mixture and a third of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining tortillas, rice and meat mixture. Dish will be full!;Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Uncover; bake 10 – 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite toppings.[/lt_recipe]
[lt_recipe name=”Easy Chicken Enchiladas” servings=”5″ prep_time=”30M” cook_time=”20M” total_time=”50M” difficulty=”Easy” summary=”These are great for a weeknight supper when you don’t have much time.” print=”yes” image=”https://thebellyrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/EasyChickenEnchiladas-300×225.jpg” ingredients=”2 c. chopped cooked chicken;2 c. sour cream;1 (10 3/4 oz can) cream of chicken soup;1 1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack […]
[lt_recipe name=”Copycat Taco Bell Enchiritos” servings=”10 – 12″ prep_time=”35M” cook_time=”10M” total_time=”45M” difficulty=”Medium” summary=”For just the two of us, I don’t roll up all 10. So, I cook up the meat and keep it in the fridge for when we want some. You will need to […]
[lt_recipe name=”Mexican Lasagna” servings=”8″ prep_time=”45M” cook_time=”40M” total_time=”1H25M” difficulty=”Medium” summary=”This is fairly easy to put together. The leftovers warm up nicely. ” print=”yes” image=”https://thebellyrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MexicanLasagna-300×201.jpg” ingredients=”1 lb. shredded pork (or ground beef);1 onion, diced;2 cloves garlic, minced;1 green bell pepper, diced;28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained;1 can refried beans;1 package taco seasoning;2 cups shredded mozzarella;2 cups shredded cheddar;1 1/2 cups cottage cheese;1/2 cup sour cream;1/2 tsp. cumin;1 egg;1 package raw lasagna noodles” ]Brown pork with the taco seasoning, onion, garlic and 1/2 cup water. Cook until water is evaporated. If using ground beef, then brown beef and drain before adding other ingredients.;Add green pepper, tomatoes and refried beans. Simmer for 5 minutes.;Mix cottage cheese, sour cream, cumin and egg.;Mix together the mozzarella and cheddar.;Now, we’re going to layer everything in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Layer:;1 cup meat sauce;noodles to cover;3 cups meat sauce;noodles to cover;cottage cheese mixture;2 cups cheese;noodles to cover;2 cups meat sauce;Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and add remaining 2 cups cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.;Let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with taco toppings, if desired.[/lt_recipe]