Irish Chicken This is sooooooo good! It’s one of those recipes that you’ll want for a special Sunday dinner. Irish Chicken Print Prep time 20 mins Cook time 1 hour 30 mins Total time 1 hour 50 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: […]
Cajun Chicken Meatballs
These are so good anytime. They would be a wonderful addition to any Mardi Gras celebration.
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon low sodium cajun seasoning
- 4 cloves minced garlic, divided
- ¾ cup panko
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (plus more for serving)
- 1 ¼ pounds ground chicken (or turkey)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions (yellow or red)
- ½ cup minced red or yellow peppers (bell or sweet peppers)
- ½ cup minced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil, for serving
- MEATBALLS: In a medium mixing bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning, ½ the garlic, and all the other ingredients except the ground chicken. Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper and mix using a fork. The mixture will resemble a coarse breading. Add the ground chicken and mix until *just* combined. Do not overwork the meat. Roll into 18-22 meatballs. Mine were about 1 ½ tablespoons each.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the skillet but do not overcrowd the pan. Cooke in batches if they don’t all fit. Sear the meatballs for 4-5 minutes, flipping to brown all sides evenly. Remember you want to just brown the outside and not cook them all the way through. Remove meatballs to a plate. Repeat until all the meatballs are cooked.
- SAUCE: Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan along with the remaining garlic and the onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent. Add the peppers and mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms and peppers soften, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour and the remaining teaspoon of cajun seasoning over the veggies and push the veggies around the pan to coat evenly and cook for about a minute or until the flour starts to deepen in color.
- Stir the mixture as you pour in the chicken broth. Lower the heat, whisk in the sour cream until it dissolves completely. Allow sauce to come back to a gentle simmer before lowering the heat and letting the sauce thicken, about 6-12 minutes. When the sauce is halfway there, add the chicken meatballs and let cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the basil before serving.
- Note: The sauce will thicken as it sits so i’d advise leaving it a little thinner if you aren’t planning on serving this right away. If the sauce thickens too much you can always thin it out with a little water or broth. Serve over egg noodles or rice and with garlic bread and a salad.
One Pan Dijon Chicken & Veggies This is an easy, delicious dinner for those weeknights. One Pan Dijon Chicken & Veggies Print Prep time 20 mins Cook time 40 mins Total time 1 hour Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Entree Cuisine: American Serves: […]
Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken
I love my Instant Pot, so I’m always looking for different things to make. This one comes out really good. Since hubby and I aren’t real big on the hot spicy stuff, I cut way back on the Siriracha sauce. You can add however much you’d like depending on your personal preferences.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 TBS sriracha
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- For the Rice:
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups water
- For the additional sauce:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 TBS Sriracha ,(add less or more depending on the spice level)
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS sugar
- For the toppings
- 2 cups shredded cabbage blend (I like green/purple/red)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped
- For chicken and rice:
- In a small cup whisk together 2 TBS Sriracha, ⅓ cup chicken stock, 1 TBS rice wine vinegar; set aside. Place chicken breasts into instant pot. Add sauce mixture over the top. Place instant pot rack on top of chicken breasts (it is okay for it to touch the chicken).
- In an oven safe bowl, add rice and water, mix gently. Place bowl on top of rack inside instant pot. Close top of instant pot, making sure the sealing valve is in the sealed position. Cook on manual/high for 6 minutes.
- When time is up, allow 10 minutes to naturally release (do not remove top or flip pressure valve for 10 minutes). After 10 minutes, flip the pressure valve to release any remaining pressure. Carefully open the top away from your body, and set aside.
- Using oven mitts or a towel, remove rice bowl from instant pot; carefully fluff rice with a fork and set aside. Using tongs remove rack on top of the chicken. Remove chicken breasts and transfer to a cutting board. Shred the chicken using 2 forks. Once shredded, add chicken back to instant pot to absorb the cooking liquid. Stir to combine.
- For extra sauce:
- Combine all additional sauce ingredients in a cup or small bowl and set aside.
- For serving:
- Serve chicken over rice* and top with cabbage, tomatoes, green onions, and additional sauce.
Green Chili Chicken & Rice Casserole This is really good for a weeknight supper. Green Chili Chicken & Rice Casserole Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 25 mins Total time 35 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Casserole Cuisine: American Serves: 4 […]
Chicken Caesar Salad Pitas These are just perfect for a light lunch. Chicken Caesar Salad Pitas Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 10 mins Total time 20 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Sandwiches Cuisine: American Serves: 4 Ingredients 2 large chicken […]
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
This is so good. It’s a great main dish salad. Personally, I don’t like spinach, so I use romaine lettuce.
- 1 lb. cooked chicken cut in bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- ½ medium cucumber, halved lengthwise & sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 13.75-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions
- ½ small lemon, seeded & cut in 6 wedges
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- In a very large bowl, combine chicken, cucumber, celery, olives, walnuts, artichokes and green onions. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine lemon (including the peel), olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper. Blend until nearly smooth.
- Pour dressing over chicken; toss to combine.
- Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- Serve on spinach leaves.
Instant Pot Skinny Garlic Chicken This one looks really good. I’ll have to try this real soon. Instant Pot Skinny Garlic Chicken Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 12 mins Total time 22 mins Recipe adapted from Alison. http://everydayshortcuts.com/instant-pot-skinny-garlic-chicken/ Author: Marsha Powell […]
Dirty Rice with Shrimp
This recipe is great with my go-to side dish – a big green salad.
- 1½ cup uncooked rice
- 1 bay leave
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp + ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp + ½ tsp thyme
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 bell peppers I used 1 green & 1 orange
- 1 lb chopped chicken breast, cooked (leftover chicken works great)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 scallions chopped
- Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with 1 bay leaf, ¼ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp cayenne, ⅛ tsp paprika and ⅛ tsp thyme.
- When the rice is almost ready, heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and cook shrimp until done, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Discard liquid from shrimp in the skillet, and heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers. Saute on medium heat until soft about 5 minutes. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin, remaining cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- Add cooked rice, chicken and shrimp to the skillet, toss, cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Serve warm and sprinkle some scallions on top. Enjoy!
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs Here’s another really good Italian recipe. This one is made lighter with ground chicken instead of beef. So, you can include it in that healthy diet. These are great served over spaghetti or served alongside the Italian Stuffed Shells. Chicken Parmesan Meatballs […]
Four Cheese Pasta with Chicken
This is one of my favorites. I used a tubular pasta instead of the penne. My picture doesn’t show the tomatoes because I didn’t have all that’s called for. I skipped the breadcrumb topping.
- 3 tbsp light margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 clove garlic, minced (about 1½ tsp)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 2 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat swiss cheese, grated
- 2 cup cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt margarine in a large saute pan, then add onion, garlic, cumin, and coriander.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, or until the onion is soft.
- Mix in flour and cook the mixture over moderate heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Using a wire whisk, slowly incorporate the milk into the onion mixture until the flour and milk are blended.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and stir in jalapeno pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and tomatoes with their juice.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and swiss cheese, blending until well mixed.
- Combine sauce, cooked pasta, and chicken in a large bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together parmesan cheese with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the parmesan topping over the pasta.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown.
Instant Pot Cajun Rice with Chicken & Sausage
I grew up in Massachusetts. During my lifetime I’ve lived in alot of different places. One of them was on the Gulf Coast close to New Orleans. While there, I learned how to cook Cajun foods.
I used to cook a dish just like this on top of the stove. Now, I’ve found the Instant Pot recipe. Yummy!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup carrots peeled, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch chunks
- 13.5 oz Andouille Sausage sliced into ½ inch chunks (I use Johnsonville Andouille Smoked Sausage)
- 1 heaping teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken base
- 1½ cups white rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- **Optional- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add the oil and saute the onions, carrots, and garlic, 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally
- Add the chicken, sausage, cajun seasoning, paprika, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Saute 5 minutes, stirring often, making sure the seasonings do not burn on the bottom of the pot. It's ok if the chicken is still a little pink inside.
- Add the water and the chicken base and stir to dissolve the chicken base. Also scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rice and scrape the sides of the bowl down so that all the rice pieces are in the liquid.
- Turn off saute setting.
- Put the lid on and lock in place, close the pressure valve to seal. Set the Instant Pot to the pressure setting on high for 10 minutes.
- At the end of the 10 minutes, when the timer beeps, do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to "vent".
- Once all the pressure is released take the lid off and add the frozen peas (and optional diced tomatoes), stir to combine. The heat from the pot will cook the peas.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Note: **I have recently altered the recipe slightly due to some readers getting a "burn warning" on their Instant Pots. The diced tomatoes are now optional, as an add-in at the end of the cooking.
Roasted Lemon Chicken This chicken is good anytime. It’s perfect for your Hanukkah celebration. Roasted Lemon Chicken Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 90 mins Total time 1 hour 40 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Entree Cuisine: Hanukkah Serves: 6 Ingredients […]
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Chowder My favorite soups are the creamy ones and this one fits the bill. Creamy Chicken Vegetable Chowder Print Prep time 20 mins Cook time 30 mins Total time 50 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Soup Cuisine: American Serves: […]
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
This is so good. The perfect soup to warm you up on a cold day.
- 2 Cups Medium Egg Noodles
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- ¼ Diced Onion
- 1 Cup Thinly Chopped Carrots
- 1 Cup Thinly Chopped Celery
- 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Crushed Basil
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Crushed Parsley
- poultry seasoning, to taste
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 & ½ Cups Half & Half
- 1 & ½ Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Chopped chicken
- 1 Teaspoon Chicken Instant bouillon
- First, cook the egg noodles according to the directions on the package, then drain & rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- At medium heat melt the 3 tablespoons of butter & sauté the ¼ cup onion, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, & 3 minced garlic cloves, with ¾ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon basil, ½ teaspoon parsley, ¾ teaspoon pepper and poultry seasoning in a medium sized pot.
- Once the carrots are tender & the celery & onion have become transparent add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 & ½ cups of half & half, 1 & ½ cups milk, raise the heat to medium high & bring the soup to a boil.
- When the soup comes to a boil lower the temperature to medium, add the 2 cups of chopped chicken, & stir in 1 teaspoon of Chicken instant bouillon.
- Lower the heat to medium low & let simmer until you are ready to eat. Then add the egg noodles to the soup & serve warm.
- Enjoy your warm Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup with some fresh baked bread!
One Pot Chicken Chow Mein
I love Asian food. For me, it’s one of the easiest things to fix.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 cup stringless snap peas
- 1½ cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 large carrot peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 375 g box whole grain spaghettini pasta
- Add oil to a large pot and cook chicken over medium-high heat, just until mostly browned.
- Add pepper, peas, cabbage and carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until veggies are softened slightly.
- Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, soy sauce and hoisin sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook the pasta, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until pasta is separated (we don't want no clumps!) most of the liquid has been absorbed. Cover and cook for 3-4 more minutes until pasta is al dente or cooked to your preference. Serve.
Southwest Chicken This is great for using leftover chicken – or maybe even some leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. Southwest Chicken Print Prep time 5 mins Cook time 20 mins Total time 25 mins Adapted from Beth at budgetbytes.com Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: […]
White Chicken Enchiladas
You’re going to love these! They don’t have any of that heat that you usually find in Mexican food. This Yankee tummy has never gotten used to that.
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Mix chicken with 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Divide between the 10 flour tortillas. Roll up. Place them in the pan. Try to squeeze them all in.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth; whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in sour cream and chilies.
- Pour over the enchiladas. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Before serving, top with sliced black olives and chopped tomatoes.