Cheez-Its How many of you can go into your pantry and find a box of Cheez-Its? You’ll find more than one in mine. I love these things! Did you know you can make them at home? They taste just as good or better than what […]
Baked Macaroni & Cheese I know you all have had baked macaroni & cheese many times in your lives. But, do you all know where it originated from? Pasta and cheese casseroles have been recorded since the 14th Century. It was found in some early […]
Kentucky Hot Brown Burgers
These are great on the grill. I usually use white cheddar cheese for mine.
Kentucky Hot Brown Burgers
By: Marsha Powell
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion diced and caramelized
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp
- 6 slider buns
- 2 Roma tomatoes sliced
- Romaine lettuce 6 pieces
- White Cheddar cheese slices
- Step 1 Mix caramelized onions, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley, red pepper and ground beef together. Divide into 4 equal sized burgers.
- Step 2 Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add burgers cooking 5 minutes, turn to second side and cook an additional 4 minutes. Do not squish burgers with the spatula, you will press all the flavorful juice out! Layer ham and bacon on burgers during the last 1 to 2 minutes of cook time to heat them.
- Step 3 While burgers are cooking toast buns.
- Step 4 Layer burgers, ham, bacon, cheese sauce, tomatoes and lettuce on bottom bun.
- Step 5 Note: Cook these on the grill instead of inside. You’ll notice the big difference in the flavor.
Ham and Cheese Croissants This recipe was created by Nicky over at Kitchen Sanctuary. She has some yummy recipes on her site. This one sounds really good for a Mother’s Day breakfast. I used a good quality Swiss cheese on mine. The sauce recipe is […]
Stove Top Scalloped Potatoes
I love these for those times when I don't want to turn on the oven. They always comes out perfect.
By: Marsha Powell
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Step 1 In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic
- Step 2 cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Stir in the flour, salt and garlic powder. Whisk in the milk.
- Step 4 Bring to a boil
- Step 5 add the potatoes. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Stir often to keep them from sticking.
- Step 6 When done, add the cheese. Stir. Serve.
Cheesy Crab Rangoon Casserole
This casserole is so good! And it's so easy to prepare.
By: Marsha Powell
- 8 ounces package cream cheese softened
- 14 ounces lump crab meat, broken up
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp worsheshire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- No Yolk noodles cooked according package directions
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- Step 1 Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Step 2 Mix all filling ingredients together until incorporated.
- Step 3 To make the sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Step 4 Add flour and cook for a minute or two. Slowly stirring constantly add milk. Keep stirring until sauce thickens.
- Step 5 Place noodles in a 9×13 baking pan.
- Step 6 Spread cream cheee mixture over noodles. Then pour sauce on top.
- Step 7 Add an additional layer of noodles, then the cream cheese mixture and pour the sauce over that layer.
- Step 8 Cover with foil and bake in a 350* oven for 30 minutes.
- Step 9 While casserole is baking, combine parmesan cheese, panko crumbs, and butter in a small bowl.
- Step 10 Remove foil and sprinkle with topping.
- Step 11 Set the oven to broil.
- Step 12 Place casserole under broiler for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
Italian Easter Pie
I’ve never made one of these, but it looks so good! I’m thinking of trying one for our Easter dinner. If anyone makes one, please let me know what you think in the comments.
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12-ounces broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped
- 8-ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8-ounces thinly sliced aged provolone cheese
- 6-ounces thinly sliced capicola (or thin sliced deli ham)
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Whisk eggs and cold water together in a bowl; set aside.
- Process flour and salt in your food processor until combined, about 3 seconds. Scatter butter and shortening over top and pulse until only pea-size pieces remain, about 10 pulses. Add egg mixture and pulse until dough ball forms, about 20 pulses.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth and elastic, about 20 turns. Divide dough into 1 (1-pound) ball and 1 (10-ounce) ball (roughly into two-thirds and one-third) and form each into a 6-inch disk.
- Wrap disks tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add broccoli rabe, sausage, and salt, and cook, breaking up sausage with spoon, until sausage is cooked through and broccoli rabe is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to plate and let cool completely, about 15 minutes. Whisk ricotta, Pecorino, eggs, and black pepper together in large bowl.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°F. Grease dark-colored 9-inch round springform pan. Line it with parchment paper. Roll a 1-pound disk of dough into a 14-inch circle on a well-floured counter.
- Loosely roll dough around rolling pin and gently unroll it onto prepared pan, letting the excess dough hang over the edge. Ease dough into pan by gently lifting and supporting the edge of dough with your hand while pressing into pan bottom and sides with your other hand. Leave overhanging dough in place.
- Shingle half of provolone in the bottom of the dough-lined pan. Spread ricotta mixture over provolone. Scatter sausage mixture over ricotta mixture and press lightly into even layer. Shingle capicola over sausage mixture, followed by remaining provolone.
- Roll remaining disk of dough into 10-inch circle on a well-floured counter. Brush overhanging dough of bottom crust with egg wash. Loosely roll 10-inch circle around rolling pin and gently unroll it over filling. Trim overhanging top and bottom doughs to 1/2 inch beyond lip of pan and pinch firmly together. Fold overhanging dough inward so folded edge is flush with the edge of the pan. Crimp dough evenly around edge of pan with tines of a fork.
- Brush top of pie liberally with egg wash. Using paring knife, cut eight 1-inch vents in the top of the dough in a circular pattern. Bake until filling registers 150°F in the center of pie and crust is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer pie to wire rack and let cool for at least 4 hours or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Remove pie from pan, slice into wedges, and serve.
- NOTE: I don’t make good pie crust. So, I usually buy a couple of boxes of the Jiffy pie crust mix. It always works for me!
Crock Pot Creamy Mac & Cheese This is one of my favorite things! Mine came out a little drier then I wanted it, but I think if you add maybe an extra 1/2 cup of milk, you’ll be okay. That’s what I’ll do next time […]
Ham, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Rolls I haven’t made these yet, but they are on the agenda for the next weekend. They look really good and would probably be a great way to use some leftover ham if you didn’t want to buy any deli […]
Cheesy Hash Browns
I’m not usually very good at getting hash browns to come out right. But, these are perfect! They come out right every time. And, they sure are yummy.
- 3 small potatoes
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Boil a pot of water over a high heat. Peel and wash your potatoes, then add them to the water and boil until they are parboiled (about 6-7 minutes, they should be hard to touch but easy to grate). Drain them in a colander, and run them under cold water until cool enough to hold. Grate the potatoes.
- Beat your egg in a bowl. Add the grated potatoes, flour, softened butter, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and then combine. Using your hands, form the mixture into patties.
- Place a splash or two of vegetable oil in a frypan and heat on medium-high. Add the patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, let cool on a paper towel for a few minutes and then serve.
Stuffed Meat Loaf I love meatloaf most any way you can think of to fix it. But when you add a cheese stuffing, then it’s the best. Stuffed Meat Loaf Recipe Type: Entree Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 1 […]
Instant Pot Five Cheese Ziti Anything with pasta, sauce and cheese is great! Instant Pot Five Cheese Ziti Recipe Type: Entree Cuisine: Italian Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 8 mins Total time: 18 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients 16 ounces Penne pasta […]
Cheesy Meat Grinder Stuffed Bread
I love this! It’s great for those Super Bowl parties or just for lunch. If you serve it at a party, cut into pieces that will serve 8. to 12.
- 1 large french bread loaf
- 8 – 12 slices salami
- 8 – 12 slices smoked turkey
- 8 – 12 slices honey ham
- 8 – 10 slices provolone
- 1 ½ – 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- ¼ red pepper, diced small
- pickled banana peppers, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. With a sharp knife, carefully cut a hollow out of the top of the bread loaf. Remove the crust and tear more bread away from the inside, leaving a 1” margin on the inside of the bread loaf. Butter and season the inside with Italian herbs.
- Begin by layering the meat and cheese. Simply roll each slice of meat in a loose cigar shape and lay down the length of the bread bowl.
- With the cheese, just lay it down without folding it, over the top of the meat. Alternate each layer, so first salami, then cheese, then ham, then cheese, then smoked turkey as the last layer.
- Top with the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 – 20 minutes or until it’s heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly on top. Remove from the oven and sprinkle both peppers on top.
Three Cheese Pinwheels These are great appetizers or just for a snack. Three Cheese Pinwheels Recipe Type: Appetizer Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 35 mins Serves: 8 Ingredients 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup […]
Mac & Cheese Egg Rolls I love egg rolls. So, to find them filled with something other than just Chinese ingredients is great. I know that they’d work really well for a party. There are usually 12 egg roll wraps in a package, so that’s […]
Best Queso Dip
I don’t care what’s going on, but I love this dip. To me, it’s good anytime. If I’m serving for a crowd, I’ll usually double it and then keep it warm in the crock pot.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 12 oz. American cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Pepper Jack, shredded
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 (4-oz.) can green chilis
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add cheeses and milk and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, green chilis, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with chips.
German Potato Casserole This is so good. I usually serve it with baked pork chops. German Potato Casserole Recipe Type: Side Dish Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 1 hour 10 mins Serves: 16 Ingredients 5 […]
Italian Stuffed Shells I love these. But then I love Italian. You can always add meat to the sauce if you’d like. I usually serve this with a big green salad and garlic bread. Italian Stuffed Shells Recipe Type: Entree Cuisine: Italian Author: Marsha Powell […]
Mac & Cheese Casserole with Broccoli
The recipe calls for a breadcrumb topping. But, I had a few french fried onions left in the can so used those instead.
- 12 oz macaroni, or other short pasta
- 10 oz broccoli, cut into small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 1⁄3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, grated, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cup fat free skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Cook macaroni for 1 minute less than al dente according to the package directions. Add broccoli 3 minutes before the macaroni is finished. Drain macaroni and broccoli and return to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl, mix with 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, whisk together milk and flour until blended, then add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, black pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Pour sauce over the macaroni and broccoli and mix well to combine. Transfer to a baking dish and evenly sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly at the edges.
Beefy Cheesy Tortellini Bake This is a nice change from all those holiday leftovers. The kids will love it. Beefy Cheesy Tortellini Bake Recipe Type: Casserole Cuisine: Italian Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 1 hour Serves: 6 […]
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Chowder My favorite soups are the creamy ones and this one fits the bill. Creamy Chicken Vegetable Chowder Recipe Type: Soup Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 50 mins Serves: 12 Ingredients 1 […]
Chili Mac & Cheese
I love chili mac and this one is super easy to make in one pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces elbows pasta
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ground beef, and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer and stir in pasta. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Top with cheese and cover until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Tasty Quiche This is a classic Quiche Lorraine recipe. It’s always great for breakfast or brunch. Tasty Quiche Recipe Type: Main Dish Cuisine: American Author: Marsha Powell Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 50 mins Total time: 1 hour 10 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients 4 […]