Many years ago when I was first married, hubby and I lived in Gulfport, Miss. We had this cute little house in an old neighborhood about 2 blocks from the beach. There was a nice backyard with a clothesline. I had a washer so would hang the clothes out on the line.
Next door to us was an older couple. The lady would often be hanging her wash out at the same time I was. She was so sweet! She offered this newly married girl a real husband pleasing recipe. She called it pie – her husband’s favorite. As with most older folks, she gave me ingredients, but no measurements, so I experimented and wrote it down when it came out right.
So, here’s the recipe that I make quite often. I’ve found that using canned fruit works best. Sometimes I’ll use pie filling and it comes out very good.
This is the best cobbler recipe you'll find.
- 1 stick butter plus 1 Tbsp.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 2 cups fruit (or 1 29 ounce can, drained)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Step 1 Heat your oven to 350 degree F.
- Step 2 Take a 9 x 13 pan and put the stick of butter in it. Place it in the oven to melt while the oven heats.
- Step 3 In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 cup sugar with the 1 Tbsp. butter. Set aside.
- Step 4 In a bowl, mix the 1 cup sugar with the flour and milk. It should be the consistency of pancake batter – not thick.
- Step 5 Pour the batter over the melted butter. Do not mix! It might look like there isn’t enough, but it’ll cover everything while it cooks.
- Step 6 Now, put your fruit on the top. Sprinkle the sugar/butter mixture over the top.
- Step 7 Bake for 55 minutes.
- Step 8 Note: If you want to add any spices, then sprinkle them over your fruit before you sprinkle on the sugar/butter mixture.