Peaches & Cream Muffins
I just had to make up some of these yesterday when I came across the recipe. You won’t believe how good they are until you try them. The recipe calls for fresh peaches, but I didn’t have any. I used canned peaches and drained and rinsed them. Then, chunked them into bite-sized pieces. I’m sure the muffins are even better with the fresh peaches.
You can check out the original recipe from Ashley over at her blog, Baker by Nature
Peaches & Cream Muffins
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (not packed)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into tiny pieces
- For the Peach Muffins:
- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 (15 oz) can peaches, drained & rinsed & cut into bite-size pieces
- about 1 1/2 cups
- For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk OR heavy cream, more if needed to achieve desired consistency
- Step 1 For the Crumb Topping:
- Step 2 In a large bowl combine the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter
- Step 3 using two forks or a pastry cutter, combine ingredients until the mixture is very crumbly and resembles a coarse meal. The crumbs should be pea-sized. Place mixture in the fridge or freezer until needed.
- Step 4 For the Peach Muffins:
- Step 5 Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (F). Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners
- Step 6 set aside.
- Step 7 In a large bowl, sift together 3 cups of the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt
- Step 8 set aside.
- Step 9 In a large bowl using an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and both sugars and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy
- Step 10 about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until well combined. Reduce mixer speed to low
- Step 11 alternate adding the flour mixture and the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Be sure not to over mix here.
- Step 12 Turn mixer off and set batter aside for a moment. Place peach chunks and remaining flour into a bowl
- Step 13 toss to completely coat the peaches in the flour. Add the peaches and any excess flour into the batter
- Step 14 use a spatula to gently fold the peach chunks into the batter until incorporated.
- Step 15 Divide the batter evenly among prepared muffin tins, then top with crumb topping. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, or with a just a few moist crumbs attached. Cool muffins 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Step 16 For the Vanilla Glaze:
- Step 17 In a small bowl combine the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and cream
- Step 18 whisk until smooth, adding more cream as needed to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over the muffins right before serving.