Buttermilk Coconut Pound Cake
This is a moist poundcake with lots of coconut flavor. I usually toast the coconut that will go on top of the cake.
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla or coconut extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. buttermilk, divided
- 1 1/2 cups coconut, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Step 1 Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Step 2 Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 Beat together the butter and sugar
- Step 4 add the vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
- Step 5 Add the flour and 1 cup of the buttermilk. Mix just to incorporate.
- Step 6 Fold in 1 1/4 cups coconut.
- Step 7 Pour into the pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Step 8 Cool in the pan on a rack for 1 hour. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Step 9 Mix the powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp. butter. Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle with the 1/4 cup coconut.