Pulled Pork Italiano
It takes longer to cook the pork than to put the sandwich together, but it's well worth the time. Besides - you'll have lots of meat leftover for other dishes.
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1½ tablespoon dried thyme
- 3½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1- 6 lb pork shoulder, butterflied
- 3 sprigs rosemary, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 lb broccoli rabe
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 32 slices sharp provolone
- 8-12″ crusty Italian rolls, split
- 24 roasted long banana peppers
- Step 1 Heat oven to 450°F. Combine fennel, parsley , thyme,and 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes in a small bowl
- Step 2 set aside.
- Step 3 Open pork shoulder on a work surface and spread with half of herb mixture, rosemary , 1/4 of the chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Roll up the shoulder, tie with kitchen twine at 1″ intervals to secure and season out-side with remaining herb mixture, salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Transfer to a roasting pan and roast until browned, about 40 minutes. Remove pan from oven and heat broiler. Add remaining garlic to pan, along with stock, wine, onion and bay leaf
- Step 5 pour tomatoes over top and sides of pork shoulder. Broil until tomatoes are caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Step 6 Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Cover pork with parchment paper and, then, cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil. Cook until the internal temperature of pork reaches 165°, about 2 hours. Set aside to cool.
- Step 7 Transfer pork to cutting board and remove bay leaf from pan. Transfer juices to a blender and purée
- Step 8 transfer to a 4-qt. saucepan and keep warm. Pull pork apart into large pieces and add to pan juices.
- Step 9 Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add broccoli rabe. Cook, stirring, until just tender, 2–3 minutes. Drain and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet. Working in batches if necessary , add remaining red pepper flakes and broccoli rabe and cook, stirring, until crisp and warmed through, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Step 10 Place 4 slices provolone on bottom half of each roll, and top with pork. Add broccoli rabe and peppers.