Classic Italian Subs
This comes straight from my New England childhood. I love a real Italilan sub. You just don't find them in Texas.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large banana peppers
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1/2 pound sliced Capicola
- 1/4 pound thinly slice boiled ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 4 submarine rolls, split
- 1 cup dill pickle slices
- Step 1 In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, peppers and onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, parsley, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes and oregano. Pour over the salad, and toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Step 2 Spread the submarine rolls open, and layer the Capicola, boiled ham, salami, prosciutto, and provolone cheese evenly on each roll. Top with some of the salad, as many pickle slices as desired, and lots of shredded lettuce. Close the rolls and serve.