Classic Italian Stromboli
April 14, 2019
: 15 min
: 20 min
: 45 min
Years ago I learned to make these from a man who owned an Italian restaurant in New York. If you'd ever met him, you'd think he was deep into the Mob. He was so very nice, though!
- 1 pound pizza dough, buy or make from scratch
- 1 jar marinara sauce (16 ounces)
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 3/4 cup artichoke heart pieces drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green and/or black olives
- 1/2 pound cooked Italian sausage crumbled
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Cracked black pepper
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out the pizza dough on a piece of parchment paper, into an 11 X 15 inch rectangle.
- Step 2 Spread 1/2 cup marinara over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around all sides.
- Step 3 Top the marinara with fresh basil leaves. Layer the sausage, olives, artichokes and cheese over the basil leaves.
- Step 4 Then lifting the parchment paper, gently roll one short end toward the other short end, creating a log with the seam facing down.
- Step 5 Brush the loaf with melted butter, then sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow the stromboli to rest 10 minutes before slicing.