Irish Honeycomb Candy (Yellow Man)
I’ve never had this, but it looks like it would be easy to make. I like the part where you would have to break it up with a hammer.
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. butter
- 1 (16-oz.) bottle light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- Butter an 8 1⁄2″ x 12″ baking pan with 1 tsp. of the butter and set aside. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter in a medium, deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add corn syrup, sugar, vinegar, and 2 tbsp. water and stir until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking sugar mixture, without stirring, until temperature reaches 300º on a candy thermometer, 10–15 minutes.
- Working quickly, remove saucepan from heat, carefully sift in baking soda, and vigorously whisk (hot syrup will bubble up in pan) until baking soda is completely incorporated, about 5 seconds. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Set aside until candy is hard and completely cool, about 30 minutes, then break into pieces with a hammer. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.