I know! It has a weird name, but it’s so good. Serve as a side dish with bangers or smoked sausage. I’ve been told that this is a Scottish dish, but I’ve been making it with any Irish meal I put together.
Author: Marsha Powell
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced-about 8 cups
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- Butter an 8 cup baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook cabbage in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer cabbage to a bowl.
- Return water to a boil and add potatoes.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Add butter and mash potatoes.
- Mix in chives and then cabbage.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 35 minutes until cheese bubbles.