Rumbledethumps I know! It has a weird name, but it’s so good. Serve as a side dish with bangers or smoked sausage. I’ve been told that this is a Scottish dish, but I’ve been making it with any Irish meal I put together. Rumbledethumps […]
Month: February 2019
Green Velvet Cupcakes
These are really good – nice and moist. They’ll go nicely with your St. Patrick’s Day dinner.
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 oz green food coloring
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 package (8 oz) of softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag powdered sugar (2 lb bag)
- Milk as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your muffin tins or line with cupcake papers.
- Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with whisk. Add in remaining liquid ingredients. Whisk until blended, the stir in food coloring and sit aside.
- Place all dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or two until well combined.
- Pour the batter into cupcake pans.
- Baking times will vary based on what you are using. For one 8″ cake pan, it was about 22 minutes. Regular size cupcakes were around 16 minutes, mini cupcakes and whoopie pie pans were both about 13 minutes.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar and continue mixing. Add in milk as needed to reach the desired consistency. Store frosting and frosted cupcakes in refrigerator.
Breakfast Bundt Cake
Bundt pans are so versatile. Most people don’t realize that you can use them for lots of other things. This one comes out so good. Hubby and I can usually get 4 meals out of it.
- 1 cup diced Ham
- 2 c frozen tater tots
- 1 dozen whisked eggs
- 1 can (8) Pillsbury Grands biscuits, cut in quarters
- 2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ c milk
- Gently mix all your ingredients together. Put in a greased bundt pan. Bake on 400 degrees F. for 45 mins. When done flip onto a platter and cut and serve
- You can use any meat or any veggie you'd like The key is not to add too much bread and the tater tots add just the right amount of potatoes They tend to shred up so you would think they were hash browns without making it dense.
Chinese Chicken Salad
This is just so yummy. It makes up quite a lot, but we’ll have it for more than one meal.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded or diced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 1 rounded cup of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of carrots (about 2 carrots), julienned or shredded
- ½ bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Asian salad dressing:
- 1 + ¼ teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup dark sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 + ½ tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon organic honey
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- Garnishes: sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), sliced or slivered almonds, cashew halves, crispy wonton strips
- Start by preparing the homemade Asian salad dressing so the flavors have a chance to meld together nicely.
- After shredding (or dicing) the chicken breast, add it to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle half of the salad dressing directly on top of the chicken. With kitchen tongs, mix these ingredients together. Let the chicken sit and soak in all of that goodness while you finish prepping the remainder of the recipe.
- Add the shredded romaine lettuce, iceburg lettuce, carrots and red cabbage to the mixing bowl. Add in the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro leaves. With tongs, toss the ingredients until well combined.
- Generously garnish your Chinese chicken salad with sesame seeds, dried chili flakes, almonds, cashew halves and wonton strips. To keep your salad nice and crisp, do not add the remainder of the Asian dressing until serving time.
- Place the salad dressing carafe with the remainder of the Asian dressing beside the serving bowl. As they serve themselves, family and guests can drizzle the dressing on top.
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk everything together until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Transfer the Asian dressing to a carafe and allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes to give the flavors an ample opportunity to combine.
- Serve with Chinese chicken salad or use as a flavorful chicken marinade.
Bread Machine Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
These come out so good. You’ll mix up the dough through the first rise in the bread machine. Then, take out the dough and make your cinnamon rolls as usual.
- 1 c warm milk (110 degrees F)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ c butter, melted
- 4½ c bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ c white sugar
- 2½ tsp yeast
- 1 c brown sugar
- 2½ Tbsp cinnamon
- ⅓ c butter, softened
- chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans (optional)
- raisins or diced apples (optional)
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c butter, softened
- 1½ c confectioner' sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place ingredients in bread pan in order they are listed. Set on 2 lb loaf and select the dough cycle.
- Once the bread machine had done the work, turn dough out onto a floured surface. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix brown sugar and cinnamon together, cover; set aside.
- Once dough has rested for 10 minutes, roll out into a 16 x 21-inch rectangle. Spread dough evenly with ⅓ cup softened butter and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. If desired sprinkle with nuts and raisins (or diced apples).
- Roll dough up (starting with long edge) tightly; slice (using sharp knife) into 12 rolls. Place rolls into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled (about 30 minutes).
- NOTE: You can cover and put in refrigerator over night. They will rise in the refrigerator and this will take a lot of prep time off the next morning. IF baking the next day, take rolls out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes. After 15 minutes when rolls had lightly browned, I tented with a piece of foil to keep from over browning.
- NOTE: the original recipe called for 15 minutes baking time, however, this was not long enough for the centers of rolls to cook completely in my oven. Watch and check after 15 minutes; add additional time as needed for your oven.
- FROSTING: mix all ingredients until creamy. Can store in the refrigerator. Divide evenly; spread over warm rolls.
Neiman Marcus Cake
Have you ever been in a Neiman Marcus store? They have some gorgeous stuff. Their yearly Christmas catalog is unbelievable. This cake is just as fantastic as their store.
- 1 box cake mix, any flavor
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- Blend cake mix, butter and eggs. Mix in nuts.
- Then spread batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 pan.
- Mix all ingredients for icing together. Then pour icing on top of the cake batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Honey Beer Bread
You’re going to love this. It comes out so nice and soft. It’s great toasted with lots of butter and jam.
- FOR THE BEER BREAD:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour*
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 bottle (12 ounce) Guinness
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- FOR THE HONEY BUTTER:
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at soft room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- To make the beer bread – preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both kinds of flour, the sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the honey and beer and mix until just combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Evenly pour the melted butter over the top of the batter.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any butter that may drip from the pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- To make the honey butter – in a small bowl add the butter. Add in the honey and salt. Mix until well combined.
Cajun Chicken Meatballs These are so good anytime. They would be a wonderful addition to any Mardi Gras celebration. Cajun Chicken Meatballs Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 35 mins Total time 50 mins Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Entree Cuisine: Cajun […]
Caesar Pesto Pasta Salad
I love pasta salads and this one is especially good by itself or as a side dish with hamburgers.
- 1 box (12 oz) tri color rotini pasta
- ⅔ cup creamy caesar dressing
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (3.8 oz) black olives, drained and chopped
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onion
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup pine nuts (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Do not forget to salt the pasta water. I use about 1 teaspoon when I salt pasta water. Drain pasta (DO NOT rinse).
- In a mixing bowl combine the caesar dressing, basil pesto, salt, and garlic powder. Stir together. Add the cooked, drained hot pasta into it and stir until all the noodles are coated well.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and stir to combine everything together.
- You can either serve this salad right away while it's still slightly warm or put it in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving. If it seems dry after refrigerating, simply add a bit more Caesar dressing to your liking.
- Note: I don't add the pine nuts because they're hard to find in this area. So, I just leave them out.
One Pan Dijon Chicken & Veggies This is an easy, delicious dinner for those weeknights. One Pan Dijon Chicken & Veggies Print Prep time 20 mins Cook time 40 mins Total time 1 hour Author: Marsha Powell Recipe type: Entree Cuisine: American Serves: […]