Mardi Gras Cornbread Fritters
These are so good! They go great with just about any Cajun dinner.
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- For the fritters start by shredding one cup of cheddar cheese, and seeding and dicing one jalapeno. In a large and deep sauce pan heat the 1 ½ cups oil on a medium high heat.
- In a medium size bowl mix all the dry ingredients together. In a small bowl whisk the egg and 2 Tablespoons of oil together. Pour in to the dry ingredients, followed by the milk, mix until most clumps are gone. Mix in the jalapeno and cheddar cheese.
- Take whatever you are using to scoop your mix out, and dollop about 2 Tablespoons out into the hot oil. Fit as many as you can in the oil at once. Take a large plate and lay paper towels out so that as you are making your fritters you can place on towel to soak as much extra oil out as possible.
- Cook on one side until golden brown, then flip, until golden brown all over.Drain on paper towel.