Kielbasa & Apple Pasta Bake
Hubby and I love good kielbasa or smoked sausage. I will surely have to give this one a try.
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 block (10 ounces) extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. kielbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 Fuji apples, cored & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an oval 10 cup baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook rigatoni al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy bottomed saucepan. Add onion and cook until just softened. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Set aside 1 cup cheese for topping. Stir the remaining cheese, pepper sauce and salt into the milk until smooth.
- Toss together pasta and cheese sauce with kielbasa and apples. Spoon into prepared baking dish, mounding slightly. Cover.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 30 minutes. Uncover; stir; sprinkle with reserved cheese and scallions. Bake until cheese is melted – about 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving