Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
It’s going to be chilly here in Northeast Texas and soup will sure taste good. So, I’ve been baking lots of soups in the Instant Pot and then freezing them. Makes it so much easier at suppertime.
- 2-3 smoked ham hocks frozen
- 10 cups water
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Place frozen ham hocks in pressure cooker and cover with 10 cups of water. Seal lid, bring to high pressure, and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure to open the lid. Remove the ham hocks and transfer to a cutting board to allow to cool. Add split peas, onion, carrot, celery, and thyme to liquid in pressure cooker.
- Bring back to high pressure and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, allow to naturally release the pressure.
- While the split peas are cooking, shred the meat from the ham hocks. Discard any bones and fat.
- The soup will appear thin at first, but once you stir it well and the split peas dissolve, it will thicken. If you prefer your soup to be even thicker, you can mash up the ingredients with a potato masher or process half of the soup through a blender on low speed and then recombine with the remaining soup. Prior to serving, add the shredded pork back in.