Creole Breakfast Bread Pudding
This is a wonderfully versatile recipe. The original recipe calls for sausage but I’ve used leftover ham. I’m sure you could use leftover roast or ground beef.
I served it with a side of country fried potatoes and a mild cheese sauce.
- 1/2 lb. bulk sausage
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced green pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8 cups cubed bread
- 3 cups milk
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 lb. pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 lb. Monterrey jack cheese, grated
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Over medium-high heat, saute sausage with onions and green pepper. Add wine and reduce – about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Put bread in a large bowl. Add milk; let set 5 minutes.
- Pour melted butter into a 10 x 13-inch pan. Tip to coat bottom and sides.
- Add sausage mixture to bread; add eggs, cheese and spices. Mix well. Pour into the pan. Cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake another 15 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 375 degrees F. Spread on sour cream and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- NOTE: I used French bread for this since it’s sturdier for this type of dish.